Thursday, March 20, 2008

Strength Programming

I have already been doing this, but I want to get it written down. My strength programming for the foreseeable future will focus on deadlifts, TGUs and some grip work. I am still shooting to deadlift 500 before my next travel season, and I would like to get TGUs up to where I can handle the 32kg for reps within the next couple of months. Long term I think bodyweight for a single would be a pretty cool TGU goal. I have no idea how long that will take though. I don't know yet what is a reasonable goal for my bending, but I think I can close a #2 gripper by September, and the other grip work will shore up one of the major weak points of my deadlift. Basically I look at everything else I am doing as assistance work for the deads or TGUs. The small plate DLs, power cleans and squat variations should all help with starting strength, and the other pressing will help me move more weight in the TGU.
I am writing this program out as covering two of the CrossFit mini-cycles, but it will not be as firm as it looks in print. I will not try to cycle on any schedule, rather, I will go by feel, since that is what has worked best for me in the past.

Day 1:
- TGU in varying format, 5-10 minutes or work up to a heavy single
- Front squat 5x5
- Overhead press 3x3
- Power clean 5x5

Day 2:
- TGU varying format
- Small plate DL 5-3-2
- CrossFit WOD (or conditioning circuit)
- Pinch Grip

Day 3:
- TGU
- PTP deads
- CrossFit WOD
- Openhand grip- Eagle loops

Day 4:
- Rest

Day 5:
- TGU varying format
- Weighted pistols 5x1
- Overhead press and one hand DL 5x5
- Power clean 10x2 at top of each minute

Day 6:
- TGU varying format
- PTP deads
- CrossFit WOD
- Bending

Day 7:
- TGU
- Small plate DL 5-3-2
- CrossFit WOD
- COC Grippers

Day 8:
- Rest

Edit: The weighted dips had to go. I don't know if this is just from my past injuries or poor form, but they were giving me a little discomfort in the shoulder. Pressing will do nicely for my big push though. See above post (3/23/08)

3 comments:

Franklin said...

Howdy Martin, just found this blog from your recent post on the DD forum. I'm very impressed with CrossFit concepts but as a novice with the whole overwhelming spectrum of S&C training, I have chosen a simplified approach which focuses on devoting 90% of my training to KBs.

From a perusal of your earlier blog posts, your mixing of KBs and CrossFit is quite fascinating and from your posted PRs, it looks like it is working well for you.

Martin Schap said...

Thanks for your kind words Franklin. This combination works well for me, and it has taken years of trial and error. I agree that the world of S&C can get overwhelming at times, so sometimes the pared down approach is best. What is the other 10% of your training focused on?

Franklin said...

The other 10% consists of dead-lifts (just added within the last week), pull-ups, dive bomber push-ups, beginner L-sit and hanging leg lift progressions and finally some power wheel exercises.

Its a great week when I can get all of these non-KB exercises in. Usually, at least one of these is cut during the week to provide more recovery from my KB sessions.

As for my KB sessions, they only focus on a few lifts: swings, front squats, LCCJs and TGUs.

I'll be looking forward to more of your DD posts and blog updates.