Wednesday, March 19, 2008

3/19/08

Breaking news:
I am quitting the Russion Squat Assault. I just have no motivation to follow such a precisely structured program. I will start alternating front squats and pistols on my heavy days and do free style cycling as outlined in the newest Power By Pavel email. I have always done freestyle cycling, but never called it anything. I kind of like having a name for it.

Warm-up:
Face the wall squats, pull-ups, push-ups

CrossFit:
"Fight Gone Bad"
Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute.The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of "rotate", the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

Mods:
16 pound ball for 20 pound ball
89 pound barbell for 75 pound barbell on SDHP and Push-press

Score:
Rd 1: 84 points
Rd 2: 94 points
Rd 3: 89 points

Sandbagged a little on the first round. Not really on purpose, but I have never done this and was trying to get a feel for the intensity I could sustain. I think next time I can do better.

3 comments:

Colin said...

I've seen the vids of Fight Gone Bad before - brutal workout to be sure.

I haven't read that Newletter yet, its sitting in my inbox though. Though I must admit I like the idea of not doing heavily structured routines. ROP seriously bores me.

When I finish this cycle Im going to DL ala PTTP, continue GTG TGU and then for conditoning random crossfit style circuits I dreamed up for 20-30 mins. What you reckon?

Martin Schap said...

I think I have tried enough structured routines to know that they just aren't my style. i don't know why I thought I should try the RSA.
Your programming looks good. As you know, I am doing something relatively similar with pulling a heavy set of 5 deads as well as some TGUs and OHS at least 2 out of 3 training days. It seems to be working. I am making gains in everything except the OHS, which does not surprise me since it has always been a hard lift for me to improve in.
FGB was surprisingly not that bad. It was definitely hard, and I should have pushed harder in the first round, but people talk about it like it's a real life ruiner and I just didn't find that. Go figure.
Pretty exciting that your blog turns out to have more than 1 reader!

Colin said...

Haha - I know of 2 others who look in ocassionally. Not sure if this is one of them though.

I was googling ways to customise it last night - I have degree in web design and its embarassing. Will def have to do it now :)