Saturday, March 29, 2008

Shoulder Update- and a re-reading of PTP

I am pretty sure I have separated my left shoulder. I will see the trainer on Monday, but I separated my right once before and this feels exactly the same. Yesterday I was pretty down about the prospect of no training for a bit, but then I read through PTP again and came to the part about Feed Forward Tension. Pavel has the solution to everything! So, my training for the next 2-14 days will be FFT and the abs drill that is recommended on page 65 of PTP.
Obviously this is not an ideal arrangement, but I will make do and try to heal up. Time to go ice the shoulder.

3 comments:

Colin said...

Blogger wiped my last 3 chapter comment - still I bet it's only a fraction of the frustration you must be feeling right now. It sucks big time, but you just gotta do everything you can to get yourself healthy and work around it if you can. Do the best with what you got.

Feed forward will take a lot of discipline I reckon, but I hope you do stick it to see what if any effects it has.

Read up a little on shoulder separations - usually from sudden tramatic incident. That the case here? Ice, anti-infammitories and therapy...but I guess you know that from before. I feel for ya dude, but I hope it aint TOO bad and you're back in the game sooner than later. :)

Martin Schap said...

I honestly don't remember what happened. I can be a fairly clumsy guy at times. Some of what I've read says that one of the common causes is falling and catching yourself on your arm, so I think I probably did that and then irritated it by putting it under a load. Oh well. I will get healthy, but the lost training time is crappy.

Franklin said...

Training hard, setting PRs and injuries are just a fact of life. You WILL heal and get even stronger.

My suggestion and this is a long term solution not one that guarantees immediate relief is to get Z-Health R-Phase. Better yet, you can subscribe to their free newsletter and read the two reports they will send you to determine if its for you.

I separated my left shoulder wrestling almost 40 years ago and never elected to have surgery. It acts up periodically and only Z-Health shoulder circles seem to get it calmed down again.