Monday, March 31, 2008

3/31/08

Saw the trainer today. He confirmed what I suspected. I have a Type 1 separation, which is the lowest of 7 levels, so that could be worse. I can still do pull-ups, back squats, certain ab drills and anything else that doesn't cause pain except overhead pressing and dips. In a week or so I'll experiment with adding in some push-ups. The trainer said light bench, but I'm sure push-ups count for that. The biggie is no dips and no overhead work of any kind for at least 3 weeks. After 3 weeks I can start very light, so I will start with the wife's 20 pound KB (no laughing please!) and then maybe move up to the 16kg, providing I can get one on ebay. In the interim I will do PTP style back squats for a few weeks and mix in some pull-ups and ab work. Again, not great, but better than nothing, and maybe I will see gains in the squat, which is a lift I've been lazy on.

Today I messed with a lot of things and found that deadlifts are bad and Zerchers are even worse. Front squats hurt but back squats are ok, and weighted sit-ups pose no problems. Pull-ups were ok but I need to go easy on these to avoid straining the shoulder.

PTP Squats:
5x150, 5x135

Pull-ups:
5 weighted at 25 pounds
3x10 unweighted

Sit-ups on GHD:
5x5x25

Pistols:
3x (1,2,3) ladders

Thanks Colin and Franklin for the encouragement. I know I will come back stronger, but these setbacks are no fun.

Edit: Just ordered a 16kg on ebay. I will use that for a lot of work when I start making my comeback here in a few weeks. I'd like to have one anyway so I can have a lighter bell to practice new drills with. I've been tempted to get one of Jeff Martone's H2H DVDs, and I will be more likely to do that now. When I start being able to use my shoulder again the focus will pretty much return to pure strength with a limited amount of conditioning. I will do KB stuff making circuits out of the different drills and maybe like one CrossFit WOD a week, with the rest of the time devoted to getting stronger again.

4 comments:

Colin said...

Lousy shoulders...why can't they be more like elbows?? Now THAT is a joint!!!

Don't forget the pic with the 20lb KB. ;)

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Oh, so I'm "the wife" now, am I? And what's so funny about my 20lb kettlebell?!?

Franklin said...

Glad to hear you are in much better spirits. It sounds like you obtained a sound diagnosis and are able to do quite a lot. Hang tough!

Colin said...

16kgs is a good addition to anyones gym.

I watched H2H DVD again a few nights ago - was actually messing around with a few things in my bedroom other night.

They feature in Steve Baccari's Power to the Punch. He uses them for his fighters along with PttP and skills training. They "jar" at you a lot more than swings etc and are said to be really good for building strong tendons and ligaments.

Picture on mine is poor quality but still a good purchase if you get it.