Monday, January 7, 2008

Eye level vs. overhead swings

Colin-
Without getting too deep into the discussion of which is "better," here is an article that details the CrossFit position on swinging to overhead. I do not know that one is always better, but I do think there are convincing arguments being made by both camps, so I do both. In particular when I do CrossFit workouts that require swings, I do the overhead variety, because that is the prescribed method for that workout. This allows me to compare times with others and gauge my level of fitness. Hope this helps.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Sensible approach you have.

Its an interesting read - I keep thinking that you would need to use your arms somewhat to help with the extra distance. I might try a few to what differences I feel.

The thing I keep thinking to myself is "when would I use that movement?". I would C&P or snatch most things these days overhead. Only thing I could come up with was throwing something back over your head. And I keep thinking that I'd rather do exactly that - let it go. Pick it up and do it again.

I keep meaning to take my KB throwing one day - maybe this week.

Thanks for the link anyways, its interesting.

Martin Schap said...

One other thing is that in the RKC book, Pavel mentions the overhead swing as one among many viable options for swing height. I don't know the background as to why this changed.