Saturday, January 5, 2008

1/05/08

Colin- you asked about rest between sets. On deadlifts I usually don't time it, but it's around 3 minutes. This is basically true of all my lifts. I sometimes time it, but not all the time. When I did ETK at the beginning of 2007 my C&P would stretch out to almost an hour sometimes, so I know what you mean about that. It was even worse when I was doing pull-ups as well. Today I only timed my rests on the pull-ups (30 seconds between rungs, a full minute between ladders) and HSPU (3 minutes). For the deads and TGU I just winged it. Something I've noticed about myself is that I do better on ladders when I time the rests. It seems like if I enforce a longer rest early on, I do better later in the workout. The new gymboss is especially handy for that because it is so simple to use. I also feel like I need very little rest when doing singles, even heavy ones. On today's deads I felt fresh after just the time it took to change the plates, whereas with sets of 5 I really feel like I need a good break.

Pull-ups:
3x (1,2,3,4,5)

TGU:
5-5
33-28

Deadlift:
1-1-1-1-1
280-320-340-300-340

HSPU:
5-5-5-4-3

Was a little disappointed in the HSPU numbers. I thought for sure I'd get 5x5 today. I think on the next 3 weeks I may go to a ladder style workout on HSPUs and do them 3x weekly in an ETK format. This would mean eliminating other pressing, but I think it would work well, and I'm not really concerned with developing my press right now, since it won't be tested at the TSC.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Interesting that you found that equal rest throughout helped in later stages. I used to get programs from Charles Staley and he advocated taking shorter rest between reps and sets to begin and then as you got more fatigued taking more time. That was especially true with the edt protocol.

I think that there are pros and cons for each way and that it boils down to the individual. Gotta get me one of those gym bosses though :)

Lotta work there as usual Martin - keep her lit!!! (wee N Ireland saying haha)