Saturday, May 17, 2008

PFT results

Push-ups (no time limit): 73
One minute sit-ups: 41
Vertical jump: 24" (maxed out the testing apparatus)
300m run: 55 seconds
1.5 mile run: 9:30

On the 1.5 mile run I was by far the fastest candidate, and on everything else it's hard to say because I couldn't see the other candidates as they were completing the tests. I have to think my push-ups were at or near the top of the group. Sit-ups I'm not sure, but these tend to slow a lot of people down. I think about 2 or 3 other candidates maxed out the vertical jump. I have to admit that on the 300m run I didn't try my hardest. We didn't have much time for a warm-up, and I didn't want to give an all out sprint and hurt myself.

4 comments:

Colin said...

73 push ups in 1 minute!!! Awesome!!!

To be honest I thought you'd be faster in the old sprints, lightweight and very high relative strength. 1.5 miles in 9.30 is excellent, especially after all the rest of it. Way to go Schaps!!!

I'm sure you'll do as well in all the other tests. Congrats man.

Martin Schap said...

Thanks man. The push-ups were unlimited time. I probably could only get about 65 in a minute. I know I slowed the pace considerably after knocking off a quick 60.
Like I say, the 300m was just run with injury prevention in mind. A 55 second 300m puts you on pace for a 73 second 400m, which is about what I was running for repeats in training. I was slightly disappointed that we didn't really get time to warm up before starting the running portion, but many of the training officers were not even on duty and no doubt just wanted to get home.
Next step is to ace the interviews. Wish me luck!

Franklin said...

A super performance!!

Leaving everyone in the dust with a sub-maximal 1.5 mile run must have felt great.

I'm really pulling for you to get that offer to join the force. I know you will ace the interviews. When do you think you might hear something?

Martin Schap said...

Assuming I don't get cut and make my way to the hire list, the process will take 6 months to 2 years. If you are on the hire list for 2 years without getting an offer you start the process again.