Thursday, July 3, 2008

ROP inspired programming

I have been struggling lately to come up with programming that adresses my main goals, doesn't try to do too much at once, and lets me train healthy. I have taken the past week off to allow some recovery and think about my training. The two main goals right now are to get as strong as possible while maintaining overall health and rehabbing the shoulders. With that in mind, here is my new programming template to begin July 7. I will try to stick with it for at least 3 weeks before tweaking it, but no promises. The format will be 3 weeks on 1 week off or light. On most of the exercises I will try to keep the weight moving up for 3 weeks, then start over slightly heavier than last time. Classic 3 steps forward 2 steps back cycle. On other exercises, like box squat, I will keep the weigh constant throughout each cycle.

Monday: Medium day
-Power clean 3x3 sets across.
-Fighter pull-ups
-TGU 10 minutes

Tuesday: Variety day
-Box squat 8x2-12x2. Move up from 8x2 to 12x2 at one weight, add 10 pounds and start over.
-KB press. High volume ladders or series.
-Jandas 3 sets
-Back extensions 3 sets
-Sledge levering

Wednesday: Light day
-Power clean 10x2
-Fighter pull-ups
-TGU 5 minutes

Thursday: Variety day
-DL 5x3 ramp up to heavy triple
-OHS 5x5 across
-KB press. High volume ladders or series.
-Obliques emphasis drill (full contact twist?)
-Plate pinch holds 3x30 seconds

Saturday: Heavy day
-Power clean 5x2 ramp up to heavy double
-Fighter pull-ups
-TGU 15 minutes

-Odd object conditioning as second workout

5 comments:

Franklin said...

I like your new template .. it seems to directly address your goals. I too have recently made TGU s are key part of my cycle .. they always make my shoulders feel better. I'm also especially looking forward to your new DL work.

Your last cycle seemed to have been very effective and it appears your shoulder is doing much better.

Stay healthy and strong.

Colin said...

I'm looking forward to the days when you ramp up for the heavy triple DL and P Clean.

I've been meaning to ask for a while about the Bag o nails you got from Iron mind. You still bend the odd one or are you all out?

Martin Schap said...

Franklin-
Thanks for the kind words. I think having designated cvariety days is really going to help. It will keep me honest on the other days and make sure I am making progress toward my goal.

Colin-
I actually bent a few nails last night. I had been staying away from them due to my shoulders, but now that I am feeling much better I hope to start back on my progress in that area. I think to really make gains in it I need to get the Diesel Crew's bending ebook or something, because right now I am just mucking around with it. I hope my "heavy" days won't disappoint...

Colin said...

Diesel Crew book very good. No fluff, clear progression to bending higher grade nails, bolts and spikes.

Just been reading through a blog on Methode Naturelle - I think this and parkour are my vision of ultimate physical capability.

Anyway here's a line from it - "The motto of the Methode Naturelle is etre forte pour etre utile meaning be strong to be useful." That where you got the name of your blog from?

Martin Schap said...

Ding ding ding! I heard about parkour through Jesse Woody, a CrossFit trainer who incorporates the various parkour moves in his programming. (primal-fitness.com) When I read about the life and philosophy of Georges Hebert it really clicked and I decided to adopt his motto as my own.