Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tweaking the Program/ New Kettlebells

My new kettlebells arrived today! I don't officially get to start working with them until Christmas Eve, but I did try them out just to be sure they aren't defective. I tested snatches to a comfortable stop and came up with 12L/12R. That is a long way from the RKC standard of 26 per arm, assuming I stay under 165. If I move up to the 176# class I will need 28 per arm. Not a huge difference, actually, so if I move up it's no big deal. I also tried a couple of two arm snatches, and a couple of two arm C&Ps. These are going to be a lot of fun.

In other news, I have begun messing with the Become a Beast program. Ultimately the goals of the program are to be strong as hell and be conditioned enough for the TSC, either this Spring or perhaps in the Fall. I would prefer not to wait until next spring, but Milwaukee is a bit of a hike. The main changes to the program are the addition of an organized pull-up program, changing up the conditioning a bit, backing off the 5-4-3-2-1 set and rep scheme for deads and moving back to 5-5, and dropping the PTP presses. I am also dropping the front squats from the mix on Saturdays in favor of sprinting or pistols if the weather is bad. The new program will look like this:

Monday: Medium
-Fighter pull-up program
-PTP deads
-Pistols
-TGUs
-KB snatches and swings (Medium)(following the program outlined in this article)

Tuesday: Light
-Pull-ups (3 sets of 10, a few sets weighted at 25#, or something)
-PTP deads
-C&J
-Farmer carries, waiter walks, sled dragging, whatever

Wednesday: Heavy
-PTP deads
-Squats with chains, alternating between back squat and front squat in 3 week cycles
-Press
-Weighted pull-ups
-KB snatches and swings (Hard)

Friday: Heavy
-Fighter pull-up program
-PTP deads
-Snatch or power snatch + OHS
-Power cleans
-KB snatches and swings (Easy)

Saturday: Medium
-PTP deads
-HSPUs
-Pistols or sprinting, depending on weather
-Some kind of push, drag or carry

No comments: