Saturday, December 22, 2007

Here you go Colin...

I've been meaning to post these, but just never got around to it.
Broad jump: going to have to scrap this as a test. Good idea, but in practice it was extremely hard to measure. The trick is, if you go all out you will never "stick" the landing, so unless you have someone to measure for you, it makes it hard to get an accurate result.

Deadlift: 403- as we already know, this was a significant PR. Hooray!

Press: 165- slightly disappointing, as this is 10# off my best. I hadn't been doing a ton of pressing, I guess, and I've heard that the shoulders really respond well to volume. I will be starting to do my HSPUs with feet elevated here shortly, so perhaps the added difficulty there will have some carryover to my pressing. If not, too bad, I'm really not willing to do any more pressing, as the main thrust of my training is to improve on the events that are tested in the TSC.

Pull-ups: 13- well, I am ashamed to admit it, but I really didn't go all out on this particular effort. I don't know if I was just sort of drained from the other tests or what, but I just didn't have it in me. Also, pull-ups seem to do best with more volume in the days leading up to the test, so I will do more in my next off week. A big part of these deload weeks is experimentation to see what works best in terms of setting myself up for a strong effort on the test day.

Snatches: I know I said run, but there was still a ton of snow on the track. I thought it would all melt, because the temperature has been well above freezing, but it must just be really shady on the track or something. Anyway, 103 snatches with the 16kg in 5 minutes. Felt kind of pointless, since all future testing will be with 24kg.

2 comments:

Colin said...

Haha - I'm nagging you for your own good. You've got to get them up there no matter how happy you are with them or not. Its all part of improving. :)

Its interesting to me to see that the biggest gain you made was the DL - which you do more or less everyday. Coincidence? I think not!!

Just read this from a dan john post on DD - “If it is important, do it every day...if it isn’t, don’t do it at all.”

Broad jump into a sand pit if you can should make it easier to measure - or prehaps change to an explosive throw or something?

Martin Schap said...

The throw is a good idea. Dan John is my hero. Thanks for getting after me to post this stuff, I need to be consistent with it. I think a 450 DL is ppossible by the TSC, which would obviously be awesome.