Thursday, January 22, 2009

PL Competition

I hadn't mentioned this before because it is so far down the road, but I plan to compete in a sanctioned PL meet on November 14. I bring it up now though because I recently had an email from the USAPL state co-chairman informing me of another meet coming up on April 18 and 19. This will be just about a month after our new baby is born, but I am planning my training as though I will be able to compete. The plan at the moment is to start a 6 week cycle incorporating the Russian Squat Assault for both squat and bench (hereafter I will refer to this as the Russian Bench Assault) and then switch to either the full or modified Russian Strength program that Franklin recently referenced for my squat with some other peaking program for my bench. Deads will be once a week on a 54321 format, and I will back off the pull-ups, training them just 3 times a week so as to not interfere with the bench training as much. Wish me luck! Tomorrow starts an insane (but, I am convinced, doable) 12 weeks.

2 comments:

Colin said...

First off - congratulations to you and Annie.

I had thought that your training recently had a distinct PL flavour about it...and now I know why.

I guess there'll be even bigger numbers on the way soon. Whats the weight category you want to compete in? And have you any idea on a total goal?

Good Luck to you sir.

Martin Schap said...

Thanks Colin. I will pass that on to Annie. We are very excited for Anja to have a baby brother or sister. Anja is excited too, she just doesn't know it because she is only 14 months old...
I hope to compete at 165, but I will not starve myself to make weight. I usually stay in that range pretty much effortlessly though. Goal for November is to total 1200 or more. For April 1100 would be fantastic. I will have a better idea after I take a heavy single in the back squat and bench tomorrow morning.