Saturday, April 12, 2008

4/12/08

I'm sorry for my extended absence Colin. I had an absolutely crazy week at work and was feeling sorry for myself because of my shoulder, so I didn't train at all and ignored this blog. Today I am back with a plan for my PFT training, which as of a few minutes ago is off to a pretty good start.

Here is the plan:
Day 1: Longer run (a touch over 3 miles) and 5 minute abs. GTG with push-ups and pull-ups when a bar is available. Stretch.
Day 2: Weighted pull-ups and DL or good mornings if I am not up to deadlifting. Kettlebell work and light pressing as I am able. GTG same as day 1. Stretch.
Day 3: Speed work on the track and 5 minute abs. GTG same as day 1. Stretch.
Day 4: Off. Optional 1 mile run and stretching.
Day 5: 20 minute run. (On the first of these I will turn around at the 10 minute mark adn strive for a negative split on the return trip. On the 20 minute runs that follow I will use the same turnaround point and try to see how fast I can complete the same distance.) 5 minute abs. GTG same as day 1.
Day 6: Same as day 2.
Day 7: Same as day 3.
Day 8: Same as day 4.

I will go through this 8 day cycle 4 times before the PFT and will have about a 3 day taper.

Today's run was about 5.37 km according to runthere.com
I completed it in 28:53, which is not fast at all.

5 minute abs consists of 1 minute of each of the following exercises.
-Flutter kicks
-V-ups
-Rowers (hard to describe)
-Sit-ups
-Planks (static hold on elbows and toes)

I will just try to keep moving on the first 3. I would like to get the sit-ups up to 29 (the standard for the test) but today I got just 14. The plank I held for the full minute.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Good to have you back!!! It's quite easy to get down on yourself about this stuff from time to time when injured or whatever. It makes us seem fallible I suppose....but its still WAY better than ballroom dancing ;)

What are the tests exactly -I'd be guessing from the training a timed 2 mile run,and a minute of press ups, pull ups and sit ups tests?