Monday, November 17, 2008

11/17/08

I am trying out the famous Armstrong pull-up program during this two week cycle. If it works I may keep using it during the 2 week kettlebell cycles. I am still experimenting with everything except the core of the program, which of course is PTP and the New Program Minimum.

Push-ups:
31, 28, 27

According to Armstrong, you should do three max sets of push-ups in the morning while on the pull-up program. These are not quite max sets, they are to a comfortable stop. Still, not outrageously good numbers. I hope to get the first set closer to 50 by the end of these two weeks.

Pull-ups:
5 max sets on 90 seconds rest
13, 7, 5, 5, 5

Again, not quite a true max, but a good hard effort on each set.

Bending:
Started out with a bunch of grade 2 bolts, which were disappointingly easy, even cut to 5"
6" length of 1/4" HRS
3x 80D Pole barn nails cut down to 6"
Interesting to bend. These are very springy and they all broke during the crush. I also tried some 60D pole barn nails, but these stopped me dead in my tracks, which was good. I was beginning to be very frustrated with the stock I had bought. The pole barn nails are very springy and do not hold a bend very well, which is challenging since for me the hardest part of the bend is the initial kink.

TGU:
15 minutes of work, where the first 10 minutes consisted of singles with the 32kg, 16kg and 24kg repeated without rest. Got 3 rds, then switched to singles with the 24kg for the last 5 minutes and got another 4 singles on each arm.

Tabata front squats at 115:
10-7-6-4-5-5-5-5

Stretching-
Hamstring stretch:
3 sets

Decompression hang:
2 sets

Souped up toe touch:
1 set

3 comments:

Franklin said...

A word of caution on the Armstrong program (I gave myself a nasty case of medial epcondilytis [golfers elbow] using this program). It encourages crazy volume so leave lots a room in tank.

Martin Schap said...

Thanks for the word of warning Franklin. I have no problem just dropping this if it doesn't suit me. As I've said, the main thing in this two week block is to do my swings and get ups. Everything else is supplemental. I am adding Armstrong because I'd like to get my pull-ups back over 20 and then use GTG to maintain. I took a Marine Corps pull-up challenge recently when the recruiter was here on campus and was mortified to get just 16 reps. I used to be able to count on my 20, but obviously I have let them slide a bit.

Franklin said...

I know you were mortified by "only" 16 but I'm sure the Marine Corp recruiter thought it wasn't too shabby. You have a such great attitude .. keep up the fine work.