Saturday, April 18, 2009

Meet Report

Today was my PL meet. Went very well, and even had a couple of modest PR's, so that was cool. Here is the breakdown of my attempts.

Squat-
1st: 295 missed by failing to wait for command to begin
2nd: 295 good attempt, but in retrospect I wish I had gone higher. I mistakenly thought that if an attempt was missed you had to stay with the same weight.
3rd: 325 good attempt and a PR by 10lbs. Went up very easily.
Bench-
1st: 230
2nd: 255 good attempt and matches the 255 I put up a few weeks ago. However, this is a slightly better lift since the heavy single a few weeks ago was not paused.
3rd: 265 miss. Could not get it through the sticking point
DL-
1st: 405 came up easily
2nd: 425 for a 15lbs PR
3rd: 430 miss. Fairly pointless attempt. 425 was ugly and took all I had.

Overall a very good day. Broke 1000 for my total. Not quite the 1100 I had hoped, but the RSA did not quite deliver as I had predicted and my training lately has been nothing to brag about. Not to mention recovery (or as I like to call it, sleep) has been more or less non-existent. Last night and the night before I got only 4 hours of sleep or less, and that was interrupted by Anja waking up at least once during that time.

4 comments:

Franklin said...

Congratulations! An excellent meet by all measures. Never underestimate a meet PR as there is huge pressure that does not exists at home or gym training.

Breaking 1000 total is a great goal to have met and now that you have trained for a complete cycle you will be better prepared for you next competition.

Again, great job!!

Colin said...

Fantastic. You're a strong dude to be sure Martin!! I take it you thoroughly the day and it was a great experience?

What with all the stress and lack of sleep lately I wouldn't be surprised if you're already good for the other lbs. From the Ground Up has interesting stuff to say about this.

So what were the take home lessons - and what is the plan of attack for the next meet? After some sleep of course :)

Colin said...

Man - I need some sleep, skipped so many words in that comment!!

Supposed to be 'enjoyed' the day - and good for the other '100'lbs.

Martin Schap said...

Franklin-
Thanks for the encouragement! I was quite pleased with both PRs, to be sure. The DL has been stalled for some time, so to get it moving again is fantastic. I am eager to get another good training cycle under my belt before competing again.
Colin-
I was able to fill in for you on the first comment, but thanks for the clarification. The meet was great in every way I can think of. I think one of the keys to adding some pounds is to let my current program work for a bit longer. It is not a shock program, so the key is to stick with it and let some volume build up. Take home lessons would be to possibly hit the bench with a touch more volume. That is the only lift that stalled when I went to the lower volume approach. Plan of attack for next time is to stick with my HLM schedule except hitting 7 sets of 5 on the bench. I also need to consider what to do when the training stalls out. If I have time I would still like to use Russian Strength as my taper program since it has the competition week built in already. Perhaps Smolov for November if I feel up to it by then.