Tuesday, March 10, 2009

3/10/09

Low bar back squat:
135x1, 185x1, 225x1, 295x1(PR), 325xFAIL, 315x1(PR)

Bench press:
135x1, 185x1, 225x1, 245x1, 265xFAIL, 255x1, 265xFAIL
(In retrospect should've tried 260)

DL:
315x1, 365x1, 435xFAIL, 410x1(PR)

Total of 980. Kind of disappointed with the DL, but I am consoling myself with the thought that everyone says it is a lift that only peaks at competition. The other lifts could be better, but my body is still pretty beat down from the 6 week block of training I just completed, and from lack of sleep lately. I think I can still improve everything a bit more by April 18, but I will not hit the RSR. I have decided to just do a basic 5x5 type program and let my body recover a bit.

3 comments:

Colin said...

I know what it feels like when you don't quite perform as you think you will.....but Martin, those are great numbers!!

You set 3 new PRs - almost double bw squat and 2.5 bw DL. You're no slouch on the BP either!

You've put in a MONSTEROUS amount of work over the past few months. You said yourself that you feel a little beat up. When it comes competition time you'll be better rested and fired up. Your competitive side will kick in, there will be no holding back and you will smash through 1100lbs no problem.

Martin Schap said...

Thanks Colin for the encouraging words. I think you are right about the competition. I need to rest up and let my body catch up on recovery. I will post a rough outline of the new training plan soon. Probably start on Friday.

Franklin said...

I know you wanted more but you PR in everything!! Your training cycle has been impeccable .. no injuries and massive volume ..give yourself some credit!

The competition is just a month away so dropping back to a more traditional 5x5 makes a lot of sense .. you can still build without overdoing it before the meet.

Again, great work!!