Thursday, October 4, 2007

Working out when on the road

This was an interesting week for training. I completed three workouts in as many gyms, and experiences ranged from great to lousy. On Monday I trained at Indiana University's SRSC. They charged me $6 for the experience, and the facility was surprisingly lousy. They had one squat rack, several bench variations, a big rack of fixed weight EZ-curl bars, and a set of dumbells. The pull-up bars were on the pulley stations, and the o-lifting platform and bumpers were wedged in behind the benches.
The next day I saw a much better facility at Bloomington South High School. The majority of the weightroom was taken up by about 12 o-lifting platforms and squat racks, and there were plenty of Ivanko bumpers to go around. There was even chalk available, and though I didn't see where they were kept, I noticed some students working with kettlebells. This was by far the nicest facility I trained in this week, and it was built to serve a population about 5% as big as the student body at IU.
Wednesday did not start out well. I asked if I could lift at Wood Memorial High School in Oakland City, but the Athletic Director said I couldn't because of liability. This is about as lame a reason as you can give for not wanting to be nice to a person, but I won't go into that here. I next swung by Oakland City University and was happy to be told that I could use their facilities. Happy, that is, until I saw the facilities. It was all machines. I'm sorry, but I train for performance and health. I left.
Then I came upon a place called Dye's Gym, also in Oakland City. Here I was able to train in a good basic facility with a nice plywood platform, adequate pull-up bar and a good amount of barbells and dumbbells for the price of $5.
The award for best gym goes to South High, while the worst gym goes to Oakland City University. Least friendly people were at Wood Memorial High. I will never travel to that school again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been to Oakland City. Not much there, eh?